Community Core Values: Compassion, Sustainability and Community
We cultivate compassion in our relationships by:
- Communicating openly and directly
- Assuming good will in all our interactions
- Practicing curiosity rather than judgment
- Committing to conflict resolution
We are committed to minimizing our environmental impact by:
- Designing and constructing energy-smart homes and common house
- Using recyclable and recycled building materials, as feasible
- Growing/supporting growth of organic food
- Installing permaculture-inspired landscaping and plantings
- Using non-toxic products and practices, where possible
- Supporting healthful living
- Recycling, conserving energy, using alternate modes of transport, sharing resources, buying locally, and simplifying our lifestyles
Community & Connection
We embrace an open and collaborative community through:
- SELF-GOVERNANCE — We strive to include all voices and reach agreements that are acceptable to all. We seek a balance between multiple perspectives, values and ideals.
- WORK—We commit to sharing the work of the community, contributing our time, talents, and effort to keep VHC functioning well.
- SOCIAL CONNECTIONS — We honor and respect the balance between individual connection, community engagement, and privacy. We are committed to being good neighbors and developing mutually-supportive environments that encourage interaction while honoring individual needs .
- SHARING — RESOURCES: We support sharing of resources among members (eg: tools, equipment, dogs). ACTIVITIES: We support sharing community activities (picnics, exercise, parties, childcare). COMMUNITY MEALS: Shared meals help build and sustain the cohesive community.
An Inclusive Community
We value difference and the richness it brings.
- Our buildings and grounds are designed to be accommodating and adaptable.
- Our community welcomes families and individuals of all ages. We rejoice in children, and honor and celebrate elders.
- We include a mix of housing types, sizes and prices.
- We are committed to promoting inclusiveness and respect for all. We welcome diversity of cultural and religious background, race, ethnicity, national origin, familial status, veteran or military status, socioeconomic class, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, education, and abilities within our midst, so that all may feel included and comfortable in our community.
Beyond Village Hill—The Larger Community
We seek to engage with and support the larger community.