Families living in cohousing across the U.S. agree there are many benefits of cohousing, including:
- More time with children because of the time-saving community meals opportunity.
- More adults to supervise children so they are safe, and parents have more time for themselves.
- Emotional and social support.
- Child-care swaps with other parents and easy access to child-care support from other adults & teens in the neighborhood.
- Friendships across a range of ages among community children.
- Improvement in children’s social and conflict resolution skills from living in community.
- Children learn to respect individual differences, and have a lot of respect for others’ property and time.
- Access to mentors and the skills of other community members that can help children discover and develop their own abilities.
Cohousing is a type of intentional, collaborative housing in which residents actively participate in the design and operation of their neighborhoods. The physical design encourages both individual space and social contact.
Private homes contain all the features of conventional homes, PLUS residents also have access to extensive common facilities such as open space, gardens, courtyards, play area, and a common house with a large community kitchen, dining hall, kids play room, living room, exercise room, game room, and guest bedrooms. You can more easily choose a smaller unit thanks to these common facilities.
If you share our values of compassionate living, ecological sustainability, community, and welcoming diversity, and want to learn more:
Please attend one of the following events:
1) Parenting in Cohousing and Village Hill Cohousing Intro
Monday, January 19th, 3:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Hear from parents who raised children in cohousing. And learn about the Village Hill community and how to join.
2) Village Hill Cohousing Gathering and How to Join
Sunday, Jan. 25th, 10:30 am – 1:00 pm
This is for anyone interested in exploring membership in Village Hill Cohousing. Meet members and learn about what we’re creating and how to get involved.
For both events:
- Please RSVP with names of those attending, using our contact form. ***Please include whether you need childcare and for what ages.
- Location: Rocky Hill Cohousing common house, 100 Black Birch Trail, Florence, MA.