- Communicating openly and directly
- Assuming good will in all our interactions
- Practicing curiosity rather than judgement
- Committing to conflict resolution
- Using recyclable and recycled building materials, as feasible
- Growing / Supporting growth of organic foods
- Installing permaculture-inspired landscaping & plantings
- Using non-toxic products & practices, where possible
- Conserving energy, using alternate modes of transport, sharing resources, buying locally, and simplifying our lifestyles.
Community & Connection
- Self-Governance – We strive to include all voices and reach agreements that are acceptable to all using a governance process call Sociocracy.
- Sharing Community Work – We share the work of the community, contributing our time, talents and effort to keep VHC functioning well.
- Social Connections – We honor and respect the balance between individual connection, community engagement and privacy.
- Sharing resources (tools, equipment, dogs), activities (picnic, exercise, parties, childcare, meals).
We value difference and the richness it brings.
- Our buildings and grounds are designed to be accommodating and adaptable.
- Our community welcomes families and individuals of all ages.
- We include a mix of housing types, sizes and prices.
- We are committed to promoting inclusiveness and respect for all. We welcome a diversity of backgrounds, ethnicities, gender identities, sexual orientations, and ages.
Engagement with the larger community
We seek to engage with and support the larger community beyond VHC.